As many of you know, an American woman from … Arizona, Blake’s native state, was killed not by an air strike, but by Isis trying to cover their butts. Isis and other radical terrorist groups have really done us all in, and they’re gonna do it again. We’ve tried banning items on airplanes, things like liquids, canes, etc. I have to give up my walking cane when I go through security on an aircraft because of groups like Al Qaida and Isis. I’m so sick of the way security handles us blind people. I’ll go back a few stories and relay what I’m thinking right now:
I was in high school shortly after 9/11. We were going to New York for a little R and R with the band. My band and chorus program wanted to do stuff there, go to the Empire State Building, and go to Saks Fifth Avenue, Macy’s, etc. It would’ve been great to go to these places, but what bothered me was the way the security person treated me as a blind person. I was walking through the metal detectors, oh well, and the lady goes, no less to my own MOTHER, “You have to guide her through. This has to go through.” I had no clue how to tell the lady, “Shut up. You talked around me. Now talk to me, again, say what you want to say. Let’s try this again.” It shouldn’t be up to me to train that stupid woman how to be sensitive to blind individuals and their needs. The first and most important need we have is that we need to be talked to, not talked around when you’re doing something. Case in point, a waitress did this to me once at a Valentino’s restaurant location. The waitress said, “What would she like?” This was said to a mobility teacher. What? Does the waitress realize I’m sitting RIGHT FREAKIN” THERE! Do you not see that, ma’am?
Well, the security screener was no different. She talked through and around me as though I didn’t exist in body and spirit. This, President Obama and other Presidents past, is offensive. Downright stupid and offensive, this is, right, Master Yoda? Yes, it is downright wrong, degrading, offensive, you choose the word. Get out a thesaurus and you’ll see.
That little incident scarred me for a while from going on planes and flying with sighted friends and family. I had to do this again several more times when we went to New England, Massachusetts, for Papa Taurasi’s wake, then again for a Gravina wedding that took place in Cohassett. I”m done with weddings, of course, with family involved because I’m not the bride and will never probably be. Sadly, I had to fly out of Florida and the security was awful.
Now, I travel on my own. The last time I flew was to Arizona to see someone I truly cared about. My security screeners have been trained, sensitive, and great! However, with Isis and their attacks on Americans, what can we as Americans expect now? Will the screeners and TSA offend us who are blind again? What will Blake, me, and thousands more expect from TSA? Yes, they have a TSA Cares thing, a disabled hotline of sorts, but Isis is ruining things. I predict, not trying to be synical, that Isis will use disabled folks as bombs. This is something we know they did with kids. Boko Haram in Nigeria used ten-year-old girls, and they could use disabled orphans and widows. This is outrageous.
When I heard the news about the hostage that died from Arizona, I just wanted to throw stuff around my apartment, or throw the phone down. I wanted to say, “Bryan Williams, you are lying, right? Did this really happen?” I was stunned. Stunned to outrage. Isis really doesn’t get it. When they take foreigners and girls as wives, they think they’re getting somewhere. This is something you can’t ignore. As I was told to ignore the recent attacks on me, you can’t ignore terrorists. They want attention, well, they’ve got it. The whole world is after the Isis fighters, and they’re bullying young boys and girls to join their so called Holy War against us Americans.
What can we do? Here are a few remedies:
1. We need to outlaw parts of Islam, as weird as it sounds, we must outlaw some of Islam’s teachings and Hadithic teachings. Some include covering of the woman’s body from head to toe, arranging marriages, forcing women to marry only Muslim men, and the whole thing about how to resolve a marriage by beating a so called unfaithful wife must be outlawed. I don’t care what the Qur’an says. It should be banned here and in the entire Western hemisphere and elsewhere where the Muslim immigrants can take their weird ways.
2. Women in Islam should be given a second chance to marry someone they truly care about. AS a former convert, I know for sure that men think they can rule us, browse us like web pages with nice pictures on them, and think they can buy us like they do their cars or their pots of gold. Women must be able to mingle with men, not separated by a curtain.
3. IF a woman chooses to wear any form of head covering, it should be redone so that faces are shown. That means the niqab must be illegal in all countries of the world. We live in an ID driven society where the face is essential. Fingerprints can’t always be a part of us sometimes. We need faces, so women must be told to show their faces.
4. We need a whole new way to settle marriage conflicts. Let’s say that Jason and Daneen, two of my good friends, ran into some problems as a married couple. With the current Qur’anic teachings and Hadithic wisdom that Islam is following, Jason would beat Daneen because he feels she is not doing things the way he wants them done. However, Jason would say, in my proposed marriage conflict formula, “Hey, Daneen, I feel like you’re being really unfaithful.” Daneen has to say, “I would never do this to you.” IF she is being unfaithful, she could counter with, “Jason, you don’t give enough personal attention.” Etc etc. When I, for instance, tell Blake that what he says sometimes makes me feel invalid and unworthy of a man’s company or a friendship or relationship, sometimes Blake doesn’t care or acts like he doesn’t, but in the end, we resolve said conflicts with a “Beth, I really care about you. I really love you, and if there’s anything I can do to help I will do it.” Blake would never beat a lady because she’s ill or perceived to be unfaithful. Infidelity is no excuse to stone a woman. Stoning a woman to death in those countries where it’s popular would in my view be banned. In America, we would have to tell the immigrants who are Muslim, you must not stone your wives and daughters for whatever reason.
5. Women must be allowed out of the house. I would, if I were Queen of Jordan, pass a law that told men that if caught harassing a woman in the workplace because of a veil or for whatever reason, he would get so much jailtime and a fine. If the man kills a woman for being “unfaithful” to her husband, he must be stoned himself. Or, better yet, let’s eliminate the death thing and go with life without parole. As Queen of Jordan, which I will never be, I would have to counter terrorism with these laws about men and women interacting in the workplace because of terroristic actions that do not really reflect the true nature of Islam. Sadly, Islam has taken some of its Qur’anic teachings way too far.
6. We need to reread the Hadith and see if there’s any excuse to “kill the infidels.” IF not, and if not so, we must correct this. IF there is anything in Qur’an or the Prophet’s Hadith that points to killing as a solution to infidelity to Islam, we must condemn such things. I personally condemn the Terroristic actions of all radical groups. Isis and other Terrorists should be classified as a hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center. For one, these groups hate women. They hate Americans, and they absolutely do not respect blind people. My ex, as loving as he is, could be used as a bomb if he is not careful. Deq is a sweet guy, and Isis might have plans if he doesn’t watch out. Deq wants to help women get out of violent situation, but how ironic it is that most of his fellow Muslim men have no clue about so many cases of domestic violence involving Muslim families with sons in them.
It’s going to take a lot of cultural changes, but here are some of the sweeping things I’d do to all Muslim countries:
1. Veils will be banned and if they cover the face, especially. Just like I said before.
2. Arranged marriages with force or coercion must be banned and all marriages of girls under eighteen must be banned unless both parties are under eighteen and agree to the marriage THEMSELVES.
3. Men and women must sit together in Masjids, restaurants, public malls, buses, etc.
3. All Arabic speakers must learn English and other trade languages in order to seek employment. Do not expect any person at this stage of the fight against Terrorism to speak Arabic. It’s like nobody in the ’40s spoke German outside the Nazi occupied states.
4. Nobody in Arabic schools may use radical textbooks, and if the textbooks mention that women must submit, they will be thrown out.
5. Teachers of all children with special needs must understand and recognize the achievements of disabled people. If they do not recognize the life and the value of disability in people, they will be fired.
6. Bombs and other heavy packs on backs will be detonated and thrown out.
7. IF you carry a hiking backpack, it must be searched, and if you carry a bomb, you and the bomb will go off. Maybe the last item wasn’t so good, but I am getting sick of hearing, “Suicide bomber does this, kills x people.” To put a stop to this, we need to put radicals and those who follow them under strict house arrest and curfews right and left.
8. All young girls in families where honor violence is prevalent will be removed from the home for their own safety.
\On a more international level, we need to combat the foreign fighters who will breed more Jihadists. Here’s how:
1. We did a good job with Ms. Shanon Whatshername in Denver, but we need to keep doing that. Question all folks when they show up with a veil on. You can question me, I’ll say, “Those Isis bastards don’t practice real Islam.” Yes, I hate to write that response there, but it should show I am extremely patriotic and love my country.
2. Psychologically analyze in three minutes each passenger who boards planes bound for Syria, Turkey, Jordan, and other Middle Eastern countries. The first thing to do is ask the questions one asked Shannon. “What are you doing? Where are you going? What you going to do?” Be casual about it. That kind of thinking will target more of the Shannons out there, not all of them are bad, but any Jihadists out there can certainly say something if the questions are calm and casual. Don’t try and be too tense about it.
3. Muslim men with beards longer than six feet or some inches should have the beards cut shorter. This way, the TSA can look for explosives hidden in hair follicles and other parts of the man’s body.
4. Women must not wear the niqab on board an aircraft for the sake of ID and matching the identification of the passenger and the other pic they show.
5. IF you’re wondering why Muslim men should have a short beard, I’ll say this: I personally hate long and scruffy beards. I expect that all passengers on board an airplane bound for these countries must have a beard two inches or shorter. Clean shaven will be preferred. Any man with a beard longer than a certain number of inches and hiding stuff in there will have to be either arrested or have their beards cut completely off and shaved. Yes, this may be morally offensive, but look at what Muslims do to us. They expect us to convert or die or something.
6. As always, TSA should take all shoes off. They should analyze other stuff on the man or woman’s feet.
7. If a man is Jewish and has a big beard, still, I don’t care what religion you are, you should still have a shorter beard. But here’s another idea. If you’re going to Syria, Jordan, or any other Muslim centered country, your Facebook should come into question. You should bring a sample of your profile in and if they deem some of your writings to be “Islamic and Isis related propaganda”, you will be denied entry to the aircraft. We don’t know what Ms. Shannon’s facebook page looked like, but if we did, we might see a lot of that sort of thing. There was an American guy who died fighting for the Jihadi cause, and his Facebook reflected this. He wrote things about joining Isis on Facebook. If we did a profile analysis on him, especially if the FBI took some measures there, we might save more lives.
8. To do a profile analysis, we need to watch each other’s back. IF a friend of mine notices I don’t post much on FB, he can say, “Hey, Beth, are you ok?” Casually, without intensity, we can ask each other if we’re ok. If I wrote something about how Allah is great, how infidels should do this or that, then that’s the time for friends to report such posts. We need to start by reporting all FB posts to the FBI if we feel it has to do with Islamic propaganda.
Now, I’m not trying by any means to be a total Islamophobe. I dated a peaceful Muslim guy at one time. However, Isis has totally worn out the welcome rug in my book. All these Muslims who did all this stuff to us should realize that the welcome wagon is stopping right back at their own places. We need to take as many security measures as we can, and I think Obama should be willing to initiate something where citizens become counterterrorism forces. Ordinary people can do the following:
1. Read your Facebook pages. Look carefully for the Islamic propaganda, and comment on it. You can ask things like, “Going to Jordan or Syria? What for?” Just be casual about it.
2. IF the response is, “Yes, I’m going to help the fighters win the Holy War” or something like that, you need to act as your own counterterrorism agent and call your nearest law enforcement agency. For instance, Denver Police will be alerted if the next Shannon C. comes up and says what I just mentioned before. as a real peaceable person, though, we need to enlighten Muslim around us to better ways of practice. Islamic best practices may go against what they feel the Prophet wants, but Muhammad does not condone child molestation, forced marriages, FGM, and other women’s sufferings. The true Prophet in my view should have never thought that his image is bad, or shouldn’t be used in a cartoon. French magazines can do whatever they want, and they’re not Islamophobes either. However, we need to somehow distinguish between the bad ones and the good guys. Deq is not a fighter in such a bad cause. I am not either. However, some other guy might be. You never know.
Ok, I think I might start by reading some of my good Muslim friends’ posts. I know for a fact that my friend Ginny isn’t one of those bad ones. She is peaceful, and I love her dearly. Her husband doesn’t sound like that sort of guy. But we need to keep radical Islam out of this world, this country and all over the place. I think the beard cutting measure might save lives because terrorists might find new ways of injecting bombs into hair follicles, skin cells, heck they do it to cell phones and remote controlled devices such as a laptop. That’s why TSA does what it does. Terrorists tried an underwear bomber, but that didn’t work because he acted crazy or excited maybe. I wasn’t there, but the underwear bomber was weird.
I don’t like the idea of body scanners, so please, citizens of the U.S., be careful and mindful of what we write on Facebook. I’m not saying all Muslims are bad, but after this Isis thing, we all have to be vigilant. Muslims can write Islamic phrases like “Masha’Allah” and “Insh-Allah.” That’s fine. But don’t make me believe you want to join a Terrorist group. It was obvious on the dead American guy’s profile he was doing this, and the news said it best. To Bryan Williams and others at NBC news, you guys rock. I listen to your stories, and I learn a lot, and grow so much from your reporting. To the president and others, I’m not trying to be a fearful American, but I really want my country to be safe, and for the men out there, that may mean a clean shaven face, no weird robing, and for women, no weird veils and robes. Maybe that would’ve stopped Elizabeth Smart’s captivity had the weirdos with her flown her to California. Anyway, gotta run. My night is almost over.